Thursday, December 10, 2009

Over look on my learn and serve



From what I have been able to see, the students do a lot of worksheets. I have seen math worksheets with multiplication and subtraction.Other worksheets I have seen are their science worksheets, where the students look up terms in their books to match the one on the page or they read a paragraph and answer questions. 
I haven’t witnessed much learning interaction between students and the teacher, but the last time I was there I did see an interaction. The teacher took two students back into a corner and read a chapter out of a book to them.  The students were supposed to be reading a long, but as an outsider watching I could tell they weren’t. The students would be flipping around the pages, looking at each others books, and staring out the window. This lesson should have incorporated two English Language Arts Standards, listening and reading. It would have happened if the students were more corporative.
Once the teacher was able to complete the whole chapter she asked the students questions about the book to see how much they were paying attention.  The students used another English Language Arts skill, speaking, to respond to the teacher with grand detail of what they thought. This detail ranged from complaints to comparing the book to things in their lives.
Even though I do not like this classroom it is teaching me how I would run my class. I believe if I came at a different time of the week I would see all the English Language Arts being used and other lessons being taught but I do not spend enough time in the classroom to see this taking place. I arrive at noon spend maybe fifteen minutes in the classroom and then follow the students across the hall to watch a movie.
So in the time I observe I can only critique a little bit about the classroom and how it is run. In the area of discipline, I do not agree with how she handles the students. She is far too lenient with them. When a student back talks or threatens her, she approaches them with an empty threat. The teacher threatens to send the student to the principal’s office and once the student begs and pleads, she doesn’t go through with it. This manner of discipline shows the students that she is not firm in what she says, so they can get away with anything by begging or cajoling.
Multiplication worksheets 

No comments:

Post a Comment