MORAL DILEMMA
Students with leaning disabilities often need modifications in their assignments in
order to minimize the impact of their disabilities and to facilitate their success.
Kevin's IEP, for example, includes extended time on exams, no penalty for spelling
errors on essays written in class, and ability to use the computer for extensive
written work. You are Kevin's high school English teacher, and one of your students
has protested that giving these accommodations to Kevin is not fair. The protest is
growing, and now several students have voiced their resentment of Kevin's special
treatment. Blog about:
A. How will you handle this?
B. What are your personal beliefs about this issue, and how will your beliefs affect
your professional decisions?
C. What does “fair” mean in the educational context for individuals with special
learning needs?
There is no easy way of handling this situation because as a teacher you are not allowed to tell other students or adults about a student's disability, unless otherwise told. In this situation though, truly I do not know how I would handle a situation like this. But what I would do is discuss with a principal on how to handle the situation and also inform the parents. I would tell them that I have told the students that this is how it is. Kevin needs things things.
I believe that teachers need to do everything in their power to help their students learn and achieve their highest potential. My beliefs will help me thrive towards getting everything that I can to help my students. I will try and be up to date with the last programs and techniques of teaching. I will also have a fair and equal classroom with no harsh words between students.
"Fair" means that the students with learning disabilities receive the accommodations they need to take a test, write an essay, or etc. These accommodations gives the students the help they need to be able to pass the class with what they know and not be held back by their learning disability.
How Do We Identify Children With Learning Disabilities
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment